Wednesday, November 25, 2009

OMG, did he just misspell "agribusiness"??

Thanksgiving is fast approaching, and you know what that means. Yep, lots of food -- hopefully lots of local, sustainable food -- and a few days off. I'll bet many of you are looking for something to do besides linger near the cheesecake at the end of the table or play Bananagrams.

During my time as a public school teacher, I was always expected to give some kind of project during school holidays. I tried my best to make these fun but thoughtful assignments. (Well, *I* thought they were fun; it's hard to please teenagers.) In honor of my former students, and inspired by a photo sent to me by my friend Mark earlier today, I've decided to hold a little contest....

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is this: Come up with a caption for the photo above.

Historical note: It marks the first (non-photoshopped) photograph of me with one of my heroes, Michael Pollan. As you can tell, I was looking pretty menacing as the crowd control person at the book signing following Pollan's talk at the Food For Thought festival this past September.

So, put on your thinking caps and don't give in to the seratonin-induced food coma! I'll choose a winner on Dec 1 and send the victor a little care package from the west coast....

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

7 comments:

  1. First of all, you are adorable. Secondly, I feel like I've been touched by greatness to be two degrees of separation away from Michael Pollan. Thirdly, is he left-handed? And all this photo makes me think is "Shiny Happy People", so that's my nomination for caption of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I get extra credit if I submit multiple captions:
    "In Defense of Michael Pollan"
    "Autograph of Desire"
    "Arming the Revolution"
    "The Prophet Makes a Profit"
    "Apostle Receives the Gospel in Wisconsin"

    or a caption that could be an alternative name for the entire blog:
    "Cross Pollan Nation"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hey, do you mind if I have a sip of that water?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you personalize my book to 'Ibti'? It's short for I-bike-to-it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I really love "Cross Pollan Nation" for the blog, that's awesome. But I feel I must second Meghan's suggestion. ;) And also add one: "Just a few. More. Inches."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the West coast goodie package! It was a fun surprise on a gloomy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right. Sorry. I forgot to announce the winner: Rosemary (or, rather, the Reppert sisters). If I do some day *actually* meet Mr. Pollan and have something for him to sign, I'm totally using that line.

    Beth gets the award for cheeriest entry; Mark's entry made me laugh out loud; Meghan was disqualified for poor taste (pun intended, yes); and Sheffy gets the extra credit he's been hoping for once I figure out what that will count toward. Thanks, guys! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Just making sure this isn't spam.... Thanks for your patience. :)Ibti