Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Homeward bound

Ollie and I are in the home stretch! Having reached our southeasternmost point, we've got about a month and a bit over 700 miles to go. In fact, mark your calendars: we're aiming to roll into the District on July 10th. (I'll post details on the homecoming festivities soon -- still working out some logistics, but you can bet it will involve bikes, brews, and local food.)

Home. Wow. I'm getting close. Not surprisingly, I've had a fair bit of Paul Simon on the mental mp3 player recently. And as usual, after a few repetitions, I started changing some of the words....

Homeward Bound (ABF remix)

I'm sittin' on the front porch waitin'
For the rain to pass, while conversatin'
(Well, it *is* The South)
On a tour around the States
On a loaded bike with too much weight
The temperature's at ninety-eight
When will the humid heat abate?

Homeward bound
I'm finally
Homeward bound
Home, in the east coast time zone
Home, where the city rats roam
Home, with my loved ones waiting patiently for me

Every day's an endless ride
Cars whizzing past just beside
And each town looks the same to me
The WalMarts and the Mickey Ds
And each park ranger's face I see
Reminds me that I'm glad to be

Homeward bound
At last I am
Homeward bound
Home, where the shower's all mine
Home, where my clothes smell just fine
Home, with my Netflix queue there waiting just for me

Tonight I will not shower again Rewear the wet socks and pretend
Mosquitos aren't biting me
While I sip on a cold sweet tea
With Ollie leaning next to me
And all the roads point toward DC!

Homeward bound
I'm getting close
Homeward bound
Home, where my friends are waiting
Home, where the salsa's playing
Home, in my bed I'll lay down for a long, long time....

Clean sheets. A real pillow. My espresso maker. Yes, just about a month left. Can you believe it?? DC, here we come!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! Keep on spinning.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tunes-- I just downloaded it to my mental mp3 player.

    We are looking forward to your return--I'm sad I'll be out of town for your triumphant re-entry into our atmosphere.

    However, you'll be excited to check out the new store opening in Adams Morgan (It's at 18th and Columbia Rd--you wouldn't even have to bike!)
    urbansustainable.org

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Just making sure this isn't spam.... Thanks for your patience. :)Ibti