Thursday, December 10, 2015

Hot buttered popcorn

I can't stop thinking about the popcorn I had a couple of weeks ago at Lyman's Tavern, out on a date back in my old Columbia Heights stomping grounds. While we didn't pan out as romantic partners, I will be eternally indebted to Patrick for introducing me to sriracha popcorn.

I know what you're thinking. Popcorn isn't very highbrow. And I am something of a foodie. But I have to tell you, this stuff will change your life. [Cue infomercial....] But seriously, should you find yourself snuggled up on the couch with a movie and a hankering for something to nibble on, try this twist on the traditional buttered popcorn, which is great washed down with a cold beer or a finger of rye whiskey:

Sriracha buttered popcorn

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup olive or grapeseed oil
  • 2/3 cup popcorn kernels
  • 3-4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1-2 Tablespoons sriracha
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Add the oil and 3 popcorn kernels to a large pot with a lid.

Cover and cook over medium-high heat until all 3 kernels pop.

Take the three kernels out of the pot, and pour in the rest of the popcorn kernels.

Cover and take the pot off of the heat. Wait 30 seconds (fun to count with your kids, if you have any).

Put the pot back on the heat. Cook, shaking the pot occasionally until the popping slows down.

After about 2 minutes, and the popping has slowed down, transfer the popcorn to a large bowl.

In the same pot you popped in (I mean, no need to create extra dishes), melt the butter and add the sriracha.

Toss popcorn back in the pot to coat it, then sprinkle on the salt.

Devour.

I'm pretty sure they make it differently at the bar, but some trial and error has gone into the homemade version of this recipe.

Oh boy, all this writing about it, I think I might have to make myself a big bowl of it right now. (And, still single, I don't have to share it. Ha! Take that, cruel dating world!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Just making sure this isn't spam.... Thanks for your patience. :)Ibti