Thursday, January 27, 2011

My new favorite program: Food Corps



My latest love affair is with Food Corps -- an AmeriCorps program focusing on school garden building, nutrition education, local farm sourcing for school food, and community outreach -- which will be launching the first 10 pilot projects around the country later this year. I've been following the program's development for a number of months now and I recently heard through the grapevine that they're starting to recruit a small staff and there will be a call for applications in February for the first round of Food Corps service workers....

Don't think I didn't have my eye on the pilots in Jackson, Mississippi (I love The South) and central Iowa (ditto) for awhile there, but since I've recently -- and delightedly -- been hired by Arcadia to develop a mobile farmers' market, I'm trying to stay focused on the District, at least for the next few years.

Man, oh, man I wish I could link up with some of this exciting work. Hmmm. Maybe I can figure out a way to link their work with what we're doing at Arcadia, but it looks like I'll have to wait until next year, as the DC area is not home to a Food Corps pilot site. Keeping my fingers crossed....

2 comments:

  1. I think southeast Texas could use a pilot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, OMG, they're hiring now! http://www.food-corps.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28&Itemid=13

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Just making sure this isn't spam.... Thanks for your patience. :)Ibti