Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The one-armed cook

Some people think it's impressive that an 80s hair band can have a one-armed drummer. But I wonder: can he make a gourmet dinner?

Okay, well, Meghan does put Wes in his chair when she's chopping, but being a good cook and having a four-month-old is quite a challenge. He's often seen peeking over her shoulder as she stirs things like the amazingly delicious (and, I discovered, super simple) beet and mustard green risotto she made for my final dinner in Houston. Boy was it delicious. And much simpler than the flambed and constantly stirred version I usually make. (It is good, though. Ryan, back me up here.)

I begged Meghan for the recipe, which it turns out was based on a 2007 issue of Bon Apetit. Here, for your gustatory pleasure, is yet another scrumptious recipe with my favorite root vegetable (and one which makes spicy mustard greens surprisingly palatable). I've adjusted it to reflect a batch that feeds 3-4 people as a main course.

Beet Risotto with Mustard Greens and Goat Cheese

1/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cups fresh beets, peeled and cubed
2 cups chopped white onion
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
4 1/2 cups low-salt vegetable stock
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cups mustard greens, finely chopped
6 oz. soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add beets and onion, then cover and cook until onion is soft (about 8 minutes). Stir in rice. Add broth and vinegar, then bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until rice and beets are just tender and risotto is creamy, stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into shallow bowls and sprinkle with greens and cheese. Devour.

Yes, you don't even cook the greens! They wilt when you stir them in with the risotto and with the goat cheese getting all melty, the result is divine.

Never let it be said that I am incapable of making a simple meal. (Okay, well, I haven't made it myself yet, but I suspect the next time I have my gentleman friend over for dinner I will have some beets and mustard greens on hand....)

4 comments:

  1. I love the picture! (and the post)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this recipe, and it is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christie, so glad you like it! I just made some this weekend, substituting some turnip greens from my garden. Divine. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, goat cheese. Yours wins!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Just making sure this isn't spam.... Thanks for your patience. :)Ibti