Thursday, June 29, 2017

Pigwa

So it turns out that quince is much more popular in Europe than in the States. Before Jacky gifted me a half dozen of the hard yellow fruits with an intoxicating aroma last year, I'd only encountered quince in the form of membrillo paste on Spanish cheese plates in fancy restaurants.Thus far in my summer travels, I've seen it infused in gin while visiting Ghent, then my relatives offered me some preserved quince in tea yesterday morning and poured me homemade quince vodka after dinner in Warsaw last night. I've heard rumors of quince mead, too, so I'll be on the lookout as I head through southern and western Poland....

I suspect this will not be my last run in with quince. At least I hope not, and not *just* because it's fun to say in Polish: pigwa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Just making sure this isn't spam.... Thanks for your patience. :)Ibti