Friday, July 13, 2012

Cinderella complex

Well, wouldn't you know it: my volunteer pumpkin appears to be ready for harvest. Only... it's JULY! How is this possible?


Pumpkins aren't even supposed to be close to ready for another two months! But try telling that to the tenacious seeds sprouting out of my compost these days.

[Granted, timing has never been my forte. Heck, I met the love of my life a decade earlier than I should have, when I was too dumb to realize it, and broke his heart irreparably. These days my most loyal companion is a bicycle. I don't want to make that mistake again. If I get another chance.]

Anyway, I don't want to mess up this first pumpkin I've ever grown, so I think I need to pick it pretty soon. And that brings me to: what does one do with a giant pumpkin in the middle of summer? Make out-of-season pumpkin bread? Pumpkin muffins? Pumpkin soup? Pumpkin butter?? (I tried to include a brick in the picture to show the scale of the orange giant, but it doesn't do justice to the sheer mass of the thing: that pumpkin is not what one would call "small." I can see how one of these might've inspired Cinderella's carriage.) I'd better invite a few friends over soon for pumpkin... everything. I can't eat this mother pumpkin all by my lonesome.

Agh! Enough with this Cinderella Complex! Maybe it's time for me to finally stop wringing my hands and start brewing that pumpkin beer I've been daydreaming about for the better part of the past 10 years....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Just making sure this isn't spam.... Thanks for your patience. :)Ibti